It's preparedness season here on the East Coast. And every year here at BioLite, we do something. This year, we decided to leave some of the bigger topics to the experts, and focus on our own area of expertise: power.
Back in 2012 when Hurricane Sandy hit, the New York Tri-State area power lines were knocked out for weeks (months for some). BioLite took to the streets to set up stations for free hot drinks and charging and we were humbled by the power a warm beverage and 10% battery life could bring. Moreover, we were inspired by our fellow New Yorkers and how they all sprung into action in different ways: some made meals, others connected loved ones, and many just tried to make people’s day better with a kind word. We realized, that when the power goes out, different personalities arise to deal with the situation – which one are you? Take our quiz and find out what your power priorities are:
Itching to see the other personalities? Click here
How much is 10 Watts? It can go a long way. And that’s why we designed the BioLite KettleCharge – using just water and any stove (indoors or outdoors), you can instantly have on-demand electricity with the equivalent power of a wall outlet. It’s a must-have for a modern emergency kit. Stay connected, stay lit, and stay in charge.
And here’s a bonus: if you take our power personality quiz above now through October 10th, you are automatically entered into our 2014 Prep Pack Giveaway, Power Edition; An amazing kit of gear, powered by 10 Watts from the BioLite KettleCharge:
So, as you reflect this Preparedness Season – ask yourself: what would you do with 10 Watts?
You've thought about this already, haven't you? For you, electricity access is all about using it in the right sequence to make sure the basics are covered. You want to be ready for anything, and that means thinking of everything. Good on ya.
Here are a few recommendations of Prepper-perfect gear that can be charged with 10Watts from the BioLite KettleCharge.
- Petzl Tikka RXP Headlamp: Keep your sightline lit while keeping your hands free for other tasks or wayfinding.
- Eton Multipurpose Radio: Stay on top of weather, travel, and emergency alerts with this durable compact radio.
- Goal Zero Portable Charger: Away from your KettleCharge but want to take a boost of power with you? This tiny guy will breathe life into your gear on the go.
Being in contact is critical. You're the one letting people know where you are, how you're doing, and what to do next. And if you have a little extra juice, maybe a post or two to instagram to document what's happening. Thanks for keeping the network up!
Here are a few recommendations of Communicator-friendly gear that can be charged with 10Watts from the BioLite KettleCharge.
- Motorola 2 Way Radios: Access NOAA radio service and be the one with the weather info to report back to friends and family if cell lines are down.
- Mophie Juice Pack Helium Case: With a super thin design, this feels like any other phone case – except this one will extend your battery life by 80% when you need it most.
- GoTenna (available for pre-order): Ok, let’s say everything is down: cell towers, satellites, wifi – what do you do then? Pre-order GoTenna, a portable communication solution that allows you to create your own closed network with your friends via long-range radio waves. You’ll have to see it to believe it.
The Calming Cook
We all know hangry (hungry + angry) doesn't do any good in any situation. And you know that a warm meal can keep people happy in almost any circumstance. You’re resourceful and can whip up a respectable dish in a matter of minutes – we want you around at the next power outage!
Here are a few recommendations of Cook-worthy gear that can be charged with 10Watts from the BioLite KettleCharge.
- Mountain House Foods: Just add boiling water from your KettleCharge and you'll have a hot meal in no time.
- SteriPEN Opti Water Purifier: In addition to your KettleCharge purifying 750ml of water per boil, this can help you purify water when you’re away from home base. Perfect for a backpacking trip gone longer than expected.
- USB Mini Fridge: When the power goes out, the fridge stays CLOSED! Grab this mini backup and keep a much-needed drink chilled when you and your family or friends need a break.
Tense moment? Scary storm? Sounds like a little distraction is in order. Whether it's providing comic relief or setting up a playlist to get your mind off of things, you're providing activities that everyone will appreciate. Thanks for making us laugh.
Here are a few recommendations of Entertaining gear that can be charged with 10Watts from the BioLite KettleCharge.
- iPad Mini: Keep a few movies and playlists stocked on here (may we recommend Monty Python?) and turn wringing hands into clapping hands.
- Braven Portable Speakers: Portable, rugged, waterproof. These will become your best friend in no time.
- Remote Control Helicopter: Yup, this is real. We use it in the office all the time.
- GoPro: When the power is out, you’re your own best entertainment. Shoot a couple videos with friends or family and by the time the lights come back on, you’ll have your own pilot for a show ready to roll.
Routine matters. You function at your best when your day-to-day remains stable. Why should a power shortage be any different? Comfort rules.
Here are a few recommendations of completely comforting gear that can be charged with 10Watts from the BioLite KettleCharge.
- Electric toothbrush: Start and end your day right with some nice clean teeth. This may be the fanciest toothbrush we’ve ever seen.
- Humidifier: A good night’s sleep is important, especially when outdoors or in an emergency situation where you need to have your wits about you. Keep your environment comfortable with this device that goes to work sitting in a cup of water.
- Desktop Fan: Not only can this keep you comfortable with a cool breeze, but if you’re in the hot and muggy months, moving air will also help keep mosquitoes away – double win!